Being a trucker means making a lot of changes to your lifestyle–some good, some not so much. When the ball drops this year, don’t be that guy who breaks his New Year’s Resolution just weeks after making it. Instead, follow these tips so that you can keep your resolution even if you’re on the road.
- Make a specific goal. When you are setting your goal, make sure it’s something that is quantifiable. Rather than just saying you will eat less bread, for example, say that you will only eat one bread item per day. That way, you are able to measure your progress and know exactly whether or not you’re on track.
- Write it down as a daily reminder. Your truck has tons of wall space, so use it! Stick your goal in different places of your truck so you never have the opportunity to forget it. This daily reminder will keep your goal in the back of your mind throughout your entire trip.
- Talk about it. Tell someone else about your goal so you can hold yourself accountable. By talking about it with other people, you will be able to work through your goal together and show them the progress you’ve made.
- Avoid weaknesses. Avoid putting yourself in situations where you will break your goal. In other words, if your goal is to drink less alcohol, then stay away from eating at pubs.
- Reward yourself. Rewarding yourself doesn’t mean breaking your goal after coming so far to keep it. Instead, reward yourself with something nice that could supplement similarly. If you’re giving up desserts, then reward yourself by buying a new shirt, for example.